Whilst on this clean eating jag I'm always trying to make things I normally enjoy into "clean" recipes.
One of those things is pasta and marinara.
The hardest part of eating clean is the preparation...because it takes time. And because I wanted pasta sauce without it taking me all day to prepare I came up with...
Lezzbehonest Marinara Sauce
(because, lezzbehonest...who has hours to dedicate to marinara-making??)
1 can diced tomatoes (unseasoned) - do not drain
1 can tomato paste
1/2 diced onion
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons olive oil
1-2 tablespoons brown sugar
Spices: garlic powder, italian seasonings, salt & pepper
I should preface this by apologizing to all of my Italian friends. I'm totally butchering someone's grandma's recipe by using canned tomatoes and not fresh garlic. Oh well. It still tastes good though.
1. Sautee onions over med-high heat in a pan with a lid. (I used onions previously roasted for dinner the night before.)
2. Reduce heat to medium.
3. Add diced tomatoes and crush with a potato smasher or the back of a wooden spoon.
4. Add tomato paste and mix thoroughly.
5. Season with garlic powder, italian seasonings, salt, pepper and brown sugar to taste.
6. Add olive oil and cover pan with lid.
7. Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for at least 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.