Here's a delicious recipe straight from my great-grandmother's (also known as Memaw Pat's) kitchen. It's a great, easy, cool dessert and there are so many ways to modify it that you can pretty much guarantee that you can satisfy anyone's sweet tooth...well, unless, of course, they don't like strawberries. Cough...M...cough.
Ingredients: 1 roll sugar cookie dough*
1 cup of finely chopped pecans**
1 8oz package of cream cheese (softened)
2 cups of Cool Whip
2 cups of powdered (4x) sugar***
1 pint of fresh strawberries, sliced thinly
1 pint of chopped strawberries
3/4 cup of sugar
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1/3 cup of water
- Press cookie dough evenly into a 9x13 or pizza pan, sprinkle with pecans and bake 10-15 min at 350 degrees. (or until browned)
- Cream together cream cheese, powdered sugar and Cool Whip
- Spread on cooled cookie dough crust
- Top with sliced fresh strawberries (make sure they are dried and not "wet")
- In a sauce pan heat sugar, cornstarch, water and chopped strawberries until thick.
- Spread over fresh strawberries
- Chill thoroughly then serve
*I use chocolate chip cookie dough (because why not?)
**I don't eat nuts so I omitted the pecans
***I like to decrease the amount of sugar so the cream cheese spread isn't very sweet. I use about 3/4 of a cup instead of what the recipe calls for.
This photo is BEFORE I put the strawberry glaze/sauce over the top.
Strawberries are in season right now so go grab some at the grocery store and TRY THIS! This could be modified with a different crust, additional fruit (blueberries, kiwi, etc.) or even with served with no strawberry glaze. The possibilities are endless! Girrl, getcha some!